Thursday, February 12, 2015

Ian Hunter, Strings Attached, Live 2002

As a young lad teen I appreciated Mott the Hoople when they came out. When Ian Hunter went solo I was distracted by other music and only came to it a few years later. Even today, though, there is something about him I like. It's his way with a rough voice, his sincerity, good songs.

So when his 2-CD set from a concert in 2002 arrived at my doorstep, I was pleased. After a bunch of listens my anticipation was rewarded. Strings Attached (MIG 23370 2-CD) has Ian in full bloom, singing old and newer songs, backed by a good band and strings, live at Oslo's Bentrum Scene.

You get "All the Young Dudes" and "All the Way from Memphis" but then the newer songs, too. The strings add something most definite. Ian strums along and gives us his voice as it was meant to be heard. Dylanesque in its rawness but very English and no pretension.

If you dig Ian Hunter this will float your boat. It's a good night and has great sound! What more?

No comments:

Post a Comment